In preparation for the upcoming hot & humid summer heat waves we have been searching for the best portable air conditioner for high humidity. If you’re like us, you’ve probably already tried it all: different kinds of fans, opening windows and doors, covering your windows, sleeping under a cold damp blanket (also known as the “Egyptian method”)… they work briefly, but once the temperature really starts climbing up they’re not effective enough.
When installing a quiet through the wall air conditioner seems like too much work, you’re living in a rented apartment or you only need cooling and dehumidifying for a certain room, a portable air conditioner with dehumidifier is the perfect solution. It’s no wonder that the popularity of AC/dehumidifier units has risen in the US.
Let’s have a quick peek on our picks before diving into their details:
|AC & Dehumidifier Combo||Photo||Details||Check on Amazon|
|DELLA||Cooling space: 550-700 sq ft|
Dehum. cap.: 157 pints / day
Noise: 51 dB
Temperature: 62°F - 82°F
|Honeywell HL14CHES||Cooling space: 550-700 sq ft|
Dehum. cap.: 111 pints / day
Noise: Under 52 dB
Temperature: 60°F - 90°F
|Whynter ARC-14S||Cooling space: 500 sq ft|
Dehum. cap.: 101 pints / day
Noise: Under 56 dB
Temperature: 61°F - 89°F
|hOmeLabs||Cooling space: 450-600 sq ft|
Dehum. cap.: 100 pints / day
Noise: Ultra quiet
Temperature: 62°F - 86°F
|SHINCO SPF2||Cooling space: 200-350 sq ft|
Dehum. cap.: 60 pints / day
Noise: Under 56 dB
Temperature: 60°F - 86°F
Best Portable Air Conditioner For High Humidity 2020
We researched the market for the best portable air conditioner for high humidity and our picks have the highest dehumidifying capacity. The dehumidifying function will remove excess moisture in places with high humidity and the cooling powers of these AC units are also superb.
DELLA 14 000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Dehumidifier
- COOLING & HEATING - 14000 BTU Cooling power (R410A refrigerant) for rooms up to 550-700 sq. ft & 11000 BTU Heating for rooms up to 350-500 sq.ft. Use it all year long from summer to winter in bedroom, home living room, office, apartment, condo, dorm, garage, workshop and other indoor spaces.
- MULTI-FUNCTION - While cooling and heating, this unit will function as a DEHUMIDIFIER which prevents bacteria and mold from growing in hot and humid environment. 3 Speed Cooling FAN keeps space cool during spring and fall.
- DISPLAY & TIMER - LED DISPLAY and simple easy select control panel features mode selection button, up/down temperature adjustments, fan speed selection and timer. 24 Hour automatic TIMER allows you to turn unit on and off at desired.
- SELF-EVAPORATION - Automatic self-evaporation technology - no bucket to empty (except in some high humidity area) - Built-in dehumidifier removes up to 111 pints/24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation.
- WINDOW KIT - Venting it by a simple three step process with WINDOW KIT (Included). Simply connect the vent hose to the back of the unit, remove the cap from the window vent kit and connect it to the exhaust hose.
DELLA’s 14,000 BTU model is designed for extremely humid spaces: its dehumidifier is on a whole other level with the ability to remove a staggering 157 pints of excess moisture from the air per day. That’s over 74 litres!
The cooling power of 14,000 BTUs will make this device suited for rooms up to 700 square feet in size. Even though it is the heaviest device on our list, it’s very portable thanks the wheels on the bottom.
When we factor in its super quiet operation volume (quietest on our list!) and the moderate pricing, it’s safe to say that this unit from DELLA is the top pick for anyone looking for a portable air conditioner with dehumidifier integration.
Honeywell HL14CHES Portable Air Conditioner With Dehumidifier
- [COOL IN SUMMER, WARM IN WINTER] 4-in-1 All-season appliance, Honeywell Portable AC with Heat Pump, Fan & Dehumidifier cools or heats a room up to 550-700 sq. Ft. Automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool/warm air evenly for fast & consistent cooling/heating. 14000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 8500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard)
- [ADVANCED SAFETY FEATURES, TRUSTED AMERICAN BRAND] Thermal overload protection for added safety & peace of mind. Dual Dust Filtration extends product life and performance by keeping internal system clean. UL, ETL certified to meet applicable & strict U. S. safety standards. ISTA-6 certified packaging for advanced product protection during delivery. One Year Wty with Local U. S. Support Team ready to help.
- [DUAL DUST FILTRATION, EASY SET UP & MAINTENANCE] Dual filters designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filters clean easily under a faucet for easy maintenance. Full set window kit included for quick & easy installation for vertical and horizontal windows (max. Hose length is 4 feet)
- [DESIGNED FOR COMFORT] Full digital controls with 3 fan speeds, Sleep Mode, 24-hour energy saving timer & remote control with convenient digital display. Stress-free auto evaporation in cooling mode – no bucket to empty (except in areas with high humidity).
- [STAY DRY, DEHUMIDIFY] Built-in dehumidifier removes up to 111 pints/24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation
Honeywell HL14CHES is another air conditioner and dehumidifier combo that is suited for spaces up to 700 square feet. In addition to its cooling, heating and dehumidifying features it’s equipped with dual dust filtration that’s designed to ensure durability of the unit.
The dehumidifying capacity of 111 pints a day is perfect for humid environments and the device can be left unattended thanks to the continuous drain option.
It comes equipped with all the premium features such as 3 different fan speed settings, energy saving timer, remote control and sleep mode. Combine all these with the quiet operation sound and you have a yourself an outstanding AC that will last long.
Whynter ARC-14S Portable Dual Hose AC Unit
- 14,000 BTU (ASHRAE) / 9,500 BTU (SACC) cooling capacity
- Award Winning: 1. Good Housekeeping's "2020 Best Overall" and "can cool down a room faster than other portable units" 2. Consumer Report's 2020 Highest Score; UL listed
- Dual hose operation; Cools up to a 500 square feet space(ambient temperature and humidity may influence optimum performance); Dehumidifying capacity: 71 pints per day; Air Flow (at high speed): 430 m3/h / 253 CFM; 3 fan speeds
- Three operational modes: Air conditioner, dehumidifier or fan; Cooling capacity 14000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 9500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard); Maximum power consumption: 1300 W / 11.6 A.
- Eco-friendly CFC free Green R-32 refrigerant; Extendable exhaust hose (up to 60″); Window kit dimension: 6.5″ W x 20″ L (minimum), 46″ (maximum); Unit dimensions: 19″ W x 16″ D x 35.5″ H
Whynter ARC-14S is an award-winning, dual hosed dehumidifier and air conditioner combo that’s best suited for rooms no larger than 500 square feet. If 2nd highest score on Consumer Reports isn’t enough to make you intrigued, how about these: it’s dual hose operated for speedy cooling, Whynter’s auto drain technology recycles the collected moisture for cooling, it has a washable pre-filter and activated carbon filter, it’s extremely easy to install and it is eco-friendly.
The only complaint we have is that it’s not as pleasing for the eye as our other picks. It’s a bit… robust on a list filled with beautiful sleek air conditioner dehumidifiers.
If you’re looking for FAST cooling, Whynter ARC-14S is your pick.
hOmeLabs 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioning Machine
- PORTABLE, QUIET ENERGY-EFFICIENT AIR CONDITIONER - Experience a cool and relaxing day at home with the hOmelabs portable air conditioner. It cools quietly and is perfect for 450 to 600 square feet room with horizontal window opening. Equipped with an automatic vertical swing function that evenly distributes airflow throughout the room
- EASY TO INSTALL, NO HEAVY WINDOW UNIT TO LIFT - Our portable AC measures 17.9 x 15 x 30.7 inches and has wheels so it can be easily moved to any room that has a window accessible. Simply attach the hose and the window slide adapter, plug in the power supply and you’re good to go. Most customers are able to install in 8 minutes or less. At the end of a season or when you don’t need it, simply unhook the unit and store in your closet, basement or garage
- WASHABLE AIR FILTER AND REMOTE CONTROL - Keep your air clean and your portable AC running efficiently with the included washable filter. The filter indicator light will illuminate to remind you when to clean the air filter. We recommend you clean the filter approximately once every two weeks. The unit also comes with a remote control to quickly set your desired temperature, fan speed, change cooling modes or activate the sleep feature
- YOUR SATISFACTION IS OUR PRIORITY - hOmelabs offers a 2-year warranty and free return or exchange within 30 days of order receipt. We want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase. If you experience any issues, please contact us or any of our authorized sellers directly, and we will do everything we can to make things right!
Dandily named hOmeLabs is responsible for this yet another portable AC & dehumidifier unit that comes packed with a cooling power of 14,000 BTUs. It comes with the usual goods that are common on our picks: it’s suited for high humidity (dehumidifying capacity of 100 pints per day), timer, remote control, silent operation volume… you probably get the idea already if you’ve read about our first choices.
Even though its fan has two speed settings, we found that neither of them is particularly efficient.
SHINCO SPF2 Portable Air Conditioner With Built-In Dehumidifier Function
- 【EASY-COOL】- Compact 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Unit, Delivers Fast, Effective Cooling for Spaces Up to 200 Sq.Ft in Home, Bedroom, dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms. When the room is cool enough, switch to the first speed level,this air conditioner will become quiet(Noise ≤55dB), enough to maintain the temperature while you are sleeping.
- 【3-in-1 FUNCTIONALITY】- It has 3 modes to choose from - cooling, dehumidification, fan only. Air conditioner cools your room quickly; 2-speed fan satisfies your needs. With 19.2L/day dehumidifying capacity, the dehumidifier function is a quick fix for stopping the growing of bacteria and mold in hot and humid environment.Bucket-less, self-evaporating operation makes your living space cool, clean and dry.
- 【EASY-TO-USE】- LED display and simple selections control panel,full-featured remote, 24-hr timer, plus a quiet ＜55dB output on Low speed mode for disturbance-free nights. Four castors wheels make it easy to move from place to place, You can place it on bedroom, study, living room, kitchen, small office, RV, party and etc.
- 【QUICK INSTALLATION】- Your purchase includes: Portable Air Conditioner, Window Mount Kit, Quick Setup Guide, Remote Control (batteries not included). Move your air conditioner to the preferred cooling area, attach the 59" hose and adjustable window brackets (fits openings from 25 - 51“), turn the unit on and let your cooling begin! An exhaust hose and window kit are included, no extra tools are needed for assembly. Installation instructions are simple and can be done by anyone.
- 【WARRANTY & SUPPORT】- Our dehumidifier is ETL Listed and Energy Star Certified. It is eco-friendly, safe, and energy saver. Shinco offers 12-months warranty . We want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase. If there is any question, please don't hesitaste to contact us.
Shinco SPF2 (8,000 BTU) is our pick for those operating on a tight budget – or for those who are looking to cool & dehumidify a smaller space. It comes with similar features than its more expensive alternatives, but the dehumidifying capacity of 60 pints per day makes it less ideal for high humidity.
However, if you are looking for a cheap air conditioner & humidifier combo, Shinco SPF2 might very well be your choice.
How Much Cooling Power Do I Need? (BTU Per Room Size)
From the image above you can see a rough generalization about how much cooling power you might need. There’s a lot of factors playing into this, but as a rule of thumb we would say:
- 8,000 BTU for 200 square feet
- 10,000 BTU for 300 square feet
- 12,000 BTU for 400 square feet
- 14,000 BTU for 500 square feet
Why Choose Portable AC Over Standard AC?
There are plenty of reasons to choose a portable model over a through the wall unit. They are…
Easy To Install
Getting a portable AC unit is almost a turnkey solution. You buy one, place it where you want it, install the hose(s), insert the water and you’re all set.
No planning needed: just make sure that the room you want to cool has an electric outlet and a window. No need to hire an electrician or drill holes on your walls. No fear of any potential hiccups that may occur once you start installing a traditional AC unit – and may end up costing you more than the actual unit.
It’s really a walk in the park when compared to the installation of through the wall air conditioners with heat.
Cheaper Than Standard AC
If you’re operating on a tight budget, a centralized cooling system is out of your range. They are expensive on their own, but in addition you’ll need to pay for installation, wiring and so on. The price is just too much for most of us.
Portable ACs provide a lot of flexibility. Finding a spot is easy since it doesn’t have to be permanently installed, just make sure that it’s located near to a window. The ability to move your unit from one room to another is handy but also very cost-effective. You could cool down your living room during the days and once it’s bedtime you can place it in your bedroom.
Tips For Maximizing The Efficiency
For getting the most out of your brand appliance, we’ve gathered a few tips & tricks you might not have thought before. Even if you are looking for a quick solution, you will get better results with some know-how.
Place your unit to a spot that is not exposed to direct sunlight. If this is not possible, place it to a spot with minimal sunlight.
Example: if the room has windows on two walls, pick the side with more shadowy day time. If you’re placing the unit in a room with just a single window, try to place it in such an angle that the wall casts a shadow over the unit.
The less your unit heats up from sunlight the more effective it will be, since it does not have to deal with unnecessary additional heat.
Always use a window kit that comes with the device! By inserting just the hose through your window you will let all the warm air come in at the same time. Make sure to follow installation instructions for optimal ventilation, otherwise your unit will have to do extra work with worse results.
Make sure the hose is as straight as possible with no twists or kinks so the air will flow through as effectively as possible.
Like any home appliance, an AC unit requires some maintenance too. Not only maintenance of the unit itself, but you should also be cleaning your house regularly for optimal operation. How and how often you should clean your air/dust filters or drain the water condensation depends on the unit you purchase and the conditions (temperature, humidity) the device is operating at. Read the manual and do what it says.
Maintenance also includes proper end of season storage and preparing for it.
Manufacturers also include instructions for off season storage. They usually include
- Draining the left-over water condensation
- Drying excess moisture (by running the device on fan mode for a certain period of time for example)
- Turning off and unplugging the device
- Cleaning the filters
- Correctly removing the window installation kit
- Covering the unit with a cloth / plastic bag
- Storing the unit in a cool, dry place without exposure to direct sunlight
Summer is coming, are you prepared? We are ready, bring on the heat and moisture!
Last update on 2020-10-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API