In preparation for the upcoming hot & humid summer heat waves we have been searching for the best portable air conditioner for high humidity. If you’re like us, you’ve probably already tried it all: different kinds of fans, opening windows and doors, covering your windows, sleeping under a cold damp blanket (also known as the “Egyptian method”)… they work briefly, but once the temperature really starts climbing up they’re not effective enough.
When installing a quiet through the wall air conditioner seems like too much work, you’re living in a rented apartment or you only need cooling and dehumidifying for a certain room, a portable air conditioner with dehumidifier is the perfect solution. It’s no wonder that the popularity of AC/dehumidifier units has risen in the US.
Let’s have a quick peek on our picks before diving into their details:
|AC & Dehumidifier Combo||Photo||Details||Check on Amazon|
|DELLA||Cooling space: 550-700 sq ft|
Dehum. cap.: 157 pints / day
Noise: 51 dB
Temperature: 62°F - 82°F
|Honeywell HL14CHES||Cooling space: 550-700 sq ft|
Dehum. cap.: 111 pints / day
Noise: Under 52 dB
Temperature: 60°F - 90°F
|Whynter ARC-14S||Cooling space: 500 sq ft|
Dehum. cap.: 101 pints / day
Noise: Under 56 dB
Temperature: 61°F - 89°F
|hOmeLabs||Cooling space: 450-600 sq ft|
Dehum. cap.: 100 pints / day
Noise: Ultra quiet
Temperature: 62°F - 86°F
|SHINCO SPF2||Cooling space: 200-350 sq ft|
Dehum. cap.: 60 pints / day
Noise: Under 56 dB
Temperature: 60°F - 86°F
|No products found.|
Best Portable Air Conditioner For High Humidity 2023
We researched the market for the best portable air conditioner for high humidity and our picks have the highest dehumidifying capacity. The dehumidifying function will remove excess moisture in places with high humidity and the cooling powers of these AC units are also superb.
DELLA 14 000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Dehumidifier
- THIS ITEM IS NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA
- [REDESIGNED APP] 14000 BTU ASHRAE With the redesigned Della+ app, you can adjust the temperature setting from anywhere within range. While you're relaxing at home, you can adjust the temperature without getting up off the couch.
- [WORKS IN ANY SPACE] Ideal for indoor use, this fan will cool down your bedroom, living room, apartment, condo or office.
- [SMART CONTROLS] You can adjust the temperature on the go with the convenient DELLA app. This makes it easy to cool your space when you're on your way home, and it's also convenient for times when you forget to shut things off before leaving the house.
- [COOL YOUR ROOM] This convenient, portable air conditioning unit provides cool air and dehumidifying for spaces up to 700 square feet. This freestanding fan is ideal for warm weather days or for any room with poor ventilation.
DELLA’s 14,000 BTU model is designed for extremely humid spaces: its dehumidifier is on a whole other level with the ability to remove a staggering 157 pints of excess moisture from the air per day. That’s over 74 litres!
The cooling power of 14,000 BTUs will make this device suited for rooms up to 700 square feet in size. Even though it is the heaviest device on our list, it’s very portable thanks the wheels on the bottom.
When we factor in its super quiet operation volume (quietest on our list!) and the moderate pricing, it’s safe to say that this unit from DELLA is the top pick for anyone looking for a portable air conditioner with dehumidifier integration.
Honeywell HL14CHES Portable Air Conditioner With Dehumidifier
- [COOL IN SUMMER, WARM IN WINTER] 4-in-1 All-season appliance, Honeywell Portable AC with Heat Pump, Fan & Dehumidifier cools or heats a room up to 550-700 sq. Ft. Automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool/warm air evenly for fast & consistent cooling/heating. 14000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 8500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard)
- [ADVANCED SAFETY FEATURES, TRUSTED AMERICAN BRAND] Thermal overload protection for added safety & peace of mind. Dual Dust Filtration extends product life and performance by keeping internal system clean. UL, ETL certified to meet applicable & strict U. S. safety standards. ISTA-6 certified packaging for advanced product protection during delivery. One Year Wty with Local U. S. Support Team ready to help.
- [DUAL DUST FILTRATION, EASY SET UP & MAINTENANCE] Dual filters designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filters clean easily under a faucet for easy maintenance. Full set window kit included for quick & easy installation for vertical and horizontal windows (max. Hose length is 4 feet)
- [DESIGNED FOR COMFORT] Full digital controls with 3 fan speeds, Sleep Mode, 24-hour energy saving timer & remote control with convenient digital display. Stress-free auto evaporation in cooling mode – no bucket to empty (except in areas with high humidity).
- [STAY DRY, DEHUMIDIFY] Built-in dehumidifier removes up to 111 pints/24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation
Honeywell HL14CHES is another air conditioner and dehumidifier combo that is suited for spaces up to 700 square feet. In addition to its cooling, heating and dehumidifying features it’s equipped with dual dust filtration that’s designed to ensure durability of the unit.
The dehumidifying capacity of 111 pints a day is perfect for humid environments and the device can be left unattended thanks to the continuous drain option.
It comes equipped with all the premium features such as 3 different fan speed settings, energy saving timer, remote control and sleep mode. Combine all these with the quiet operation sound and you have a yourself an outstanding AC that will last long.
Whynter ARC-14S Portable Dual Hose AC Unit
- Portable AC Unit: Our portable room air conditioner keeps your room cool while aligning with better environmental standards and helping reduce your energy consumption
- Multipurpose: Portable AC air conditioner with dehumidifier features a cooling range of 500 square feet and 3 operational modes: air conditioner, fan, or dehumidifier
- Auto-Drain Technology: Our dual-hose portable ac units for rooms use and recycle moisture collected during the cooling process to produce cool air and feature a dehumidifying capacity of 71 pints per day
- Powerful, Efficient, and Quiet: This Energy Star Rated 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner features CFC-free Green R-32 refrigerant and lead-free RoHS-compliant components; Noise is kept to under 56 dBA
- Includes: Portable air conditioner comes with protective cover, window kit, remote control, activated carbon air filter and washable pre-filter, and user manual; Exhaust hose extends up to 60 inches; Window kit measures 6.5 inches W by 20-46 inches L
Whynter ARC-14S is an award-winning, dual hosed dehumidifier and air conditioner combo that’s best suited for rooms no larger than 500 square feet. If 2nd highest score on Consumer Reports isn’t enough to make you intrigued, how about these: it’s dual hose operated for speedy cooling, Whynter’s auto drain technology recycles the collected moisture for cooling, it has a washable pre-filter and activated carbon filter, it’s extremely easy to install and it is eco-friendly.
The only complaint we have is that it’s not as pleasing for the eye as our other picks. It’s a bit… robust on a list filled with beautiful sleek air conditioner dehumidifiers.
If you’re looking for FAST cooling, Whynter ARC-14S is your pick.
hOmeLabs 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioning Machine
- The hOmelabs 8,600 BTU portable air conditioner quietly and efficiently cools rooms with horizontal window openings measuring between 450 - 600 square feet
- This portable AC measures 17.9 x 15 x 30.7 inches, includes wheels for smooth mobility, and is equipped with an automatic vertical swing function to evenly distribute airflow
- To install, simply attach the included hose to its window slide adapter, plug the appliance in, and you’re good to go (most customers are able to install the unit in 8 minutes or less)
- Includes washable filter and filter indicator light that illuminates whenever cleaning is needed. Clean filter once every few weeks to ensure optimum cooling
- Comes with remote control to set temperature, fan speed, cooling mode and sleep mode, and features a sleek and simple design to suit every home
Dandily named hOmeLabs is responsible for this yet another portable AC & dehumidifier unit that comes packed with a cooling power of 14,000 BTUs. It comes with the usual goods that are common on our picks: it’s suited for high humidity (dehumidifying capacity of 100 pints per day), timer, remote control, silent operation volume… you probably get the idea already if you’ve read about our first choices.
Even though its fan has two speed settings, we found that neither of them is particularly efficient.
SHINCO SPF2 Portable Air Conditioner With Built-In Dehumidifier Function
No products found.
Shinco SPF2 (8,000 BTU) is our pick for those operating on a tight budget – or for those who are looking to cool & dehumidify a smaller space. It comes with similar features than its more expensive alternatives, but the dehumidifying capacity of 60 pints per day makes it less ideal for high humidity.
However, if you are looking for a cheap air conditioner & humidifier combo, Shinco SPF2 might very well be your choice.
How Much Cooling Power Do I Need? (BTU Per Room Size)
From the image above you can see a rough generalization about how much cooling power you might need. There’s a lot of factors playing into this, but as a rule of thumb we would say:
- 8,000 BTU for 200 square feet
- 10,000 BTU for 300 square feet
- 12,000 BTU for 400 square feet
- 14,000 BTU for 500 square feet
Why Choose Portable AC Over Standard AC?
There are plenty of reasons to choose a portable model over a through the wall unit. They are…
Easy To Install
Getting a portable AC unit is almost a turnkey solution. You buy one, place it where you want it, install the hose(s), insert the water and you’re all set.
No planning needed: just make sure that the room you want to cool has an electric outlet and a window. No need to hire an electrician or drill holes on your walls. No fear of any potential hiccups that may occur once you start installing a traditional AC unit – and may end up costing you more than the actual unit.
It’s really a walk in the park when compared to the installation of through the wall air conditioners with heat.
Cheaper Than Standard AC
If you’re operating on a tight budget, a centralized cooling system is out of your range. They are expensive on their own, but in addition you’ll need to pay for installation, wiring and so on. The price is just too much for most of us.
Portable ACs provide a lot of flexibility. Finding a spot is easy since it doesn’t have to be permanently installed, just make sure that it’s located near to a window. The ability to move your unit from one room to another is handy but also very cost-effective. You could cool down your living room during the days and once it’s bedtime you can place it in your bedroom.
Tips For Maximizing The Efficiency
For getting the most out of your brand appliance, we’ve gathered a few tips & tricks you might not have thought before. Even if you are looking for a quick solution, you will get better results with some know-how.
Place your unit to a spot that is not exposed to direct sunlight. If this is not possible, place it to a spot with minimal sunlight.
Example: if the room has windows on two walls, pick the side with more shadowy day time. If you’re placing the unit in a room with just a single window, try to place it in such an angle that the wall casts a shadow over the unit.
The less your unit heats up from sunlight the more effective it will be, since it does not have to deal with unnecessary additional heat.
Always use a window kit that comes with the device! By inserting just the hose through your window you will let all the warm air come in at the same time. Make sure to follow installation instructions for optimal ventilation, otherwise your unit will have to do extra work with worse results.
Make sure the hose is as straight as possible with no twists or kinks so the air will flow through as effectively as possible.
Like any home appliance, an AC unit requires some maintenance too. Not only maintenance of the unit itself, but you should also be cleaning your house regularly for optimal operation. How and how often you should clean your air/dust filters or drain the water condensation depends on the unit you purchase and the conditions (temperature, humidity) the device is operating at. Read the manual and do what it says.
Maintenance also includes proper end of season storage and preparing for it.
Manufacturers also include instructions for off season storage. They usually include
- Draining the left-over water condensation
- Drying excess moisture (by running the device on fan mode for a certain period of time for example)
- Turning off and unplugging the device
- Cleaning the filters
- Correctly removing the window installation kit
- Covering the unit with a cloth / plastic bag
- Storing the unit in a cool, dry place without exposure to direct sunlight
Summer is coming, are you prepared? We are ready, bring on the heat and moisture!
Last update on 2023-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API