Last Updated on
Summer is right around the block and if you are anything like us you will be spending a considerable amount of time outside. Is there anything better than spending a hot day on the beach or park with your friends, a few good beverages and some sweet summer tunes?
The concept of party speakers is not exactly new. Even though the term wasn’t coined in the glory days of ghetto blasters (or boomboxes like some tryhard cool guys called them), the idea was the same. They would bring music to wherever people gather.
You have probably read guides similar to ours and noted that they’ve included these huge speakers that require proper setuping and such. Where I am from you would never see these gigantic boxes with built-in wheels or even stands at regular get togethers. Some absolute madmen brought these to special occasions like festival camping areas, but they weren’t what we meant with party speakers.
For us a party speaker is something that requires minimal extra effort – something that you can move even on a bicycle. Surely there are regional and even cultural differences regarding party speakers but this is the way we’ll go. You wouldn’t call the sound system of a nightclub “party speakers” (or soundbars for that matter) even though they technically would qualify. That’s why we decided to add the word portable in the mix.
Best Portable Party Speakers - Comparison Table
Note: we decided to describe the sizes in a bit more intuitive way rather than just listing the exact measurements. You will find the exact measurements on the individual reviews further down.
|Photo||Product||Details||Check on Amazon|
|JBL Boombox||Size: Big|
Battery life: 24 h
|Brookstone Big Blue Party X||Size: Big|
Battery life: 2.5+ h (9 h at 50% volume)
|BRAVEN BRV-XXL/2||Size: Huge|
Battery life: 14 h
|Superstar Monster Blaster||Size: Huge|
Battery life: 16 h
|Bose SoundLink Revolve+||Size: Medium|
Battery life: 16 h
|JBL Xtreme 2||Size: Big-Medium|
Battery life: 15 h
|Ultimate Ears BOOM 3||Size: Small|
Battery life: 15 h
|Aiwa Exos-9||Size: Huge|
Battery life: 9 h
|Harman Kardon GO+PLAY Mini||Size: Big|
Battery life: 8 h
|Marshall Kilburn II||Size: Medium|
Battery life: 20 h
|Bang & Olufsen Beolit 17||Size: Big|
Battery life: 24 h
What To Look For When Buying?
Here are some factors you should take into account before jumping into buying.
Size & Situation
Portability is not the most objective thing to define. It might mean anything from being able to fit the speaker in the trunk of your car to being able to fit it in a pocket. For us the whole party speaker culture was about warm summer nights at a park with some cold drinks. This is why we’ve set the rather obscure size limit of “it must be portable on a bike”.
Thus we will not include speakers such as the popular SOUNDBOKS 2, the thing even weighs 35 pounds! Not very hasslefree to take that with you to a park on a bike, even if the name has the word “portable” on it.
Think about the possible situations you will be using the speaker on. Are you looking to use the speaker indoors, outdoors or both? For most people getting a waterproof speaker is the most sensible choice. But since some people will only use them inside we decided to create two separate lists anyway: outdoor party speakers and house party speakers.
Don’t worry, you won’t find any bank-breakers on our list. Actually an overly expensive party speaker is sort of an oxymoron if you think about it for a second. Who would enjoy partying if they had to constantly worry about a device?
For your convenience we decided to place our picks in three categories: value, premium and budget. Value is the sweet spot that you could recommend to pretty much anybody looking for a great portable party speaker – a bang for one’s buck. Premium is for those who want the absolute best and budget for anyone who just wants maximum sound for minimum price.
Since we are talking about partying you know that things are bound to get rather noisy. That’s why you want to make sure that the speaker is loud enough. A good measurement for this is to look for the maximum sound pressure of the speaker.
Naturally outdoor party speakers will require more power since you are in open space.
Quality of sound is also a subjective measurement as people have different tastes. Some like more bass-heavy sound, some put more emphasis on the clarity of the highs and mids. Obviously you will have different standards for party speakers than for your home theater. We think obsessing over whether your loudspeaker has a warm or cold sound is quite unnecessary for these devices.
You are much better off by just reading a lot of customer reviews and getting an overall feel of the feedback. Make sure that it has a kicking bass and that the mids and highs don’t get distorted as soon as you turn up the volume.
The importance of battery life will depend on your needs. If you’re only going to use it at house parties you don’t necessarily need a battery at all. For outdoor party speakers the exact opposite obviously applies – the longer the battery life you get the better. A speaker that goes silent when the party is still going on is not a party speaker, it’s a party pooper.
Best Bluetooth Speaker For Outdoor Party
Huge - Large Bluetooth Boomboxes
- Made to be the most powerful, portable Bluetooth speaker, JBL boom box delivers monstrous sound along with the hardest hitting bass
- Enjoy music for 24 hours without missing a beat. Battery Charging time (hours)- 6.5
- Use the massive 20, 000mAh battery and dual charge out to charge your external devices anytime and keep music rocking
- Rugged enough to handle your wildest tailgate party, The JBL boom box is IPX7 waterproof, which withstand any weather and Even the most epic pool parties
- Incorporated four active transducers and two JBL bass radiators, JBL boom box delivers monstrous sound along with hardest hitting bass that you will not only hear but also see
JBL Boombox is a beast that comes equipped with a 20,000 mAh Li-on battery. It’s so humongous that they’ve actually included two USB ports so that you can also use the Boombox as a power bank.
The design is as rugged as they come, making the Boombox ideal for even the craziest parties. You won’t have to worry a bit.
Brookstone Big Blue Party X
- WIRELESS: pair with Bluetooth enabled devices—or simply touch NFC devices for instant wireless pairing
- WATER RESISTANT: for pool, deck or beach
- RICH SOUND: 4 full-range speaker drivers for powerful, omni-directional sound
- PORTABLE: easy-grip carry handle to take your music anywhere
- RECHARGEABLE: battery lasts up to 9 hours on a single charge
Big Blue Party X is an upgraded version of the widely praised Big Blue Party. Even though Brookstone is far from a household name when it comes to speakers, the Big Blue Party was (and still is!) an excellent party speaker. Party X takes it to a whole another level.
Party X is basically the older model on steroids – it’s a staggering 40% louder. However, the added power (from 72W to 120W) has also shortened the battery life as the speaker is exactly the same size as the older model (and actually a bit lighter).
- Built for any weather condition, the rugged design is completely water resistant, dirt proof, & Sandproof.
- 33 feet (10M) wireless range with advanced Bluetooth technology allows for clear crisp sound anywhere you go. Even connect wired through the 3. 5 millimeter stereo input aux port.
- This massive speaker is built with 4 HD Audio drivers, 1 Subwoofer, and 14 hours of uninterrupted playtime to ensure for rich full sound all night long.
- Portable and convenient, XXL Features built-in 15, 600mAh portable charging capabilities for any smartphone, tablet, or USB enabled devices while you’re miles away from a plug.
- Carrying strap with bottle opener included. Take your party to the next level and Boost your voice with the 3. 5 microphone input to ensure that your voice is heard.
We were on the edge with Braven BRV-XXL/2. Weighing a good 21.2 pounds its not certainly the most portable party speaker out there, but since it comes with a carrying strap that has a bottle opener on it we were inclined to include it. This thing has party written all over it.
Superstar Monster Blaster
- Indoor and outdoor EQ modes
- Powerful sound for large, open spaces
- Rechargeable battery for up to 16 hours of listening
- Splash resistant for outdoor use
Medium - For Smaller House Or Outside Parties
Bose SoundLink Revolve+
- Delivers Deep, loud, jaw dropping sound with True 360 degree coverage
- Built-in mic for speakerphone to take clear conference or personal calls out loud with a wireless range of approximately 30 feet.
- Flexible fabric handle makes it easy to grab and go; seamless aluminum body is durable and water resistant (IPX4)
- Enjoy up to 16 hours of play time from a long-lasting, rechargeable, lithium-ion battery
- Wireless Bluetooth pairing with voice prompts allows you to easily take calls and access your phone’s virtual assistant — hands free
Even though the rather high end look of the Bose SoundLink Revolve+ might suggest that it’s an indoor party speaker, it actually is water resistant and does take a bit of roughing without any hiccups.
The sound of the Revolve+ is very clean and balanced but the bass does not go sub-levels – as you would expect from a speaker of this size. Definitely not recommended for those who are looking to enjoy some EDM or hip hop bangers at max volume, but for music with a bit more artistic ambition you can’t go wrong with Bose.
You can connect two of these for more power but the Revolve+ is really at its best on a chill night at a cabin or a bonfire.
JBL Xtreme 2
- Wireless Bluetooth streaming
- 15 hours of playtime
- IPX7 waterproof
- Jul. Connect+
- Durable fabric and rugged material
JBL Extreme 2 finally lives up to its name unlike the original JBL Extreme, which was only disappointingly splashproof. It also has a wider soundstage but it most certainly still is focused on the party aspect.
Ultimate Ears BOOM 3
- Ultimate Sound: BOOM 3 delivers loud and immersive 360 degree sound with deep and accurate bass, all carefully balanced so you can hear every note
- Powered for Adventure: Rechargeable battery stays powered and pumping tunes for 15 hours; Add the POWER UP charging dock (sold separately) to charge Ultimate Ears BOOM 3 wirelessly so it’s always ready to go on your next musical adventure
- Super Portable and Durable: Waterproof Floats and Virtually Indestructible; BOOM 3 can be totally submerged in up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes, passing seriously tough durability tests to handle life’s spills and thrills
- All New Magic Button: Play, Pause, Skip and control any streaming music directly on the Bluetooth speaker with 1 touch of a button; Maximum Sound Level : 90dBA; Frequency Range: 90 Hertz to 20 Kilohertz
- PartyUp: Use the Ultimate Ears app to pair 2, 3, 4…and over 150 BOOM and MEGABOOM speakers together for the ultimate sound experience; Works with any generation of BOOM and MEGABOOM speakers
Best Speakers For House Parties
- HOME-STEREO SOUND, INSIDE OR OUT – With 200 watts of continuous power and 5 drivers, including a 6.5″ dual-voice coil subwoofer, the Exos-9 delivers amazing stereo sound with deep bass, crisp treble and balanced mids. Distortion-free, even at volumes that will draw the attention of the local authorities.
- ALL-DAY BATTERY LIFE – Your guests will pass out before the Exos-9 does! Keep it plugged in at home or enjoy up to 9 HOURS of incredible unplugged sound with the included quick-swap Lithium-ion battery pack. Perfect for tailgates, camping, backyard fun, the beach, fishing, or any other outdoor activity where nature forgot to install power outlets.
- CONNECT IN SECONDS – Bluetooth 4.2 ensures instant pairing and maintains a strong connection up to 80 feet. The Exos-9 remembers your last device, allowing you to reconnect effortlessly. 3.5mm audio jack for direct connection.
- ULTIMATE CONTROL OVER YOUR MUSIC – Crank the bass, mids, or highs with the 5-band onboard graphic equalizer. Use one of 4 available pre-set options or fine tune the EQ to your liking. The customizable EQ makes the Exos-9 portable speaker perfect for every genre of music, podcasts and audiobooks.
- THE AIWA PROMISE – We proudly stand behind our products. We offer a 60-Day RISK-FREE SATISFACTION GUARANTEE and a 2-year WARRANTY on the Exos-9. If you’re not completely thrilled, send it back for a full refund, no questions asked. We’ll even pay for return shipping.
Aiwa Exos-9 is the second speaker on our list which was almost left out because its portability is quite dubious, but… It’s just way too good to not include.
Harman Kardon GO+PLAY Mini
- Stream music wirelessly via Bluetooth to enjoy room filling sound. Bluetooth transmitter frequency range: 2402 MegaHertz to 2480 MegaHertz
- Built in rechargeable Li ion battery supports up to 8 hours of playtime and charges your smartphones and tablets via USB
- Dual Microphone Conferencing System with Harman noise and echo cancelling technology delivers crystal clear conference calls
- Wirelessly connect two Harman Kardon Wireless Dual Sound enabled speakers together to elevate your music listening experience
- Premium fabric finishing and stainless steel handle
Marshall Kilburn II
- Kilburn II offers 20+ hours of portable playtime on a single charge.
- Multi-directional sound via Bluefin stereo sound; Frequency Range: 52 – 20,000 Hz
- Comes equipped with Bluetooth 5. 0 apt technology for wireless music play. Play music with any Bluetooth device at a range of up to 30 feet away from the speaker
- New durable design with new grill and corner caps
- Kilburn II features multi-host functionality so you can easily connect and switch between two Bluetooth devices.
Marshall Kilburn II is a louder, lighter and more durable version of the original Kilburn. Especially the added splash resistance is a big plus for all rockers out there.
Bang & Olufsen Beolit 17
- Wireless speaker with True360 Sound Technology featuring Bang & Olufsen Signature Sound
- Premium materials built to last, including anodized aluminum and full grain leather
- Connect button activates intelligent features via Beoplay App
- Portable Bluetooth speaker keeps going with up to 24 hours of battery life and included smart-charging USB-C charger
- In the box: Beolit 17 portable speaker, mains cable, Quick Start guide
If the Exos-9 was lacking in portability then it would be fair to say that Beolit 17 is lacking in partibility. But since we believe in diversity we decided to include a party speaker even for the middle and upper class responsible adults.
Last update on 2020-08-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API